Thursday, April 16, 2009

Coming Along Nicely

I spent a day and made curtains out of this old silk duvet cover I've had for years. I loved this duvet when I bought it, but realized the first night sleeping under it that it was the worst possible thing to put on my bed. The blanket inside the duvet was always slipping to the bottom of the bed and I was perpetually cold and frustrated.

Though I kept it as I loved how attractive a color and fabric it was the fact remains it was very impractical and not of much use in a closet. When I was packing to move to California I discovered it once again, forgotten in a box, and pronounced it the worst possible thing to pack half way across the country. My mother protested telling me to keep it and make pillows or anything really as it was real silk and no one should ever just discard real silk. I being of a crafty nature at once knew she was right.

This is my first attempt at working with real silk and I must say it was a pleasure to work with. Being a natural fiber it didn't have the nasty stretch that marks the frustration of some sewing projects and it has this wonderful beauty only raw silk has. It really complements the pillow cases I bought in a market in China. With that and the beachy look of the love seat the whole room is turning out to be quite casual with a bit of vibrancy that truly is a hallmark of my particular style.

No comments: