Saturday, May 30, 2009

Not In Kansas Any More

I am looking out at another beautiful day here and am reminded of the storm we had a few days ago. This is an excerpt from my journal...

"Right now there is so much wind raging outside it feels like a tornado is coming down the valley! The dark clouds are gathering over the mountains and foothills and a violent wind is crashing against everything! Its crazy. The trees are half bent over and things are creaking, snapping, and flying all around.

I have not seen anything like it in a very long time. The sky looks almost like its boiling. The open windows are slamming in protest to the wind's assaults and Jen is securing the last of them in the living room. Batten down the hatches!"

Ever since that day on every outing Jen and I have there are signs of the storm everywhere. Down trees ripped out of hill sides with roots as tall as me twice over. I see crews of men cutting off branches that are dangling awkwardly and removing large old trees that fell victim to this great wind.

Today, however, is beautiful and I have already been to the Saturday market here in Lustenau. I think another great bike ride today is in order and perhaps some swimming in the river.

No comments: