Sunday, May 17, 2009

My First Cup!

As most of you know I am in Austria for the next few weeks staying in this "swap" house with my sister-in-law. There is the language barrier as neither of us speaks German. I speak and understand about 15 key words and she understands a few less than that so she defers to me for the translation. You can see how this is all going to go, but we are both seasoned travelers and have done more difficult things than work out a language. It helps that the locals in this sleepy little town are uber nice and speak rapid (most slow down when they see we are perplexed) German to us trying to explain where the supermarkets are.

We are having a great time and this is my second morning here. Yesterday was spent convincing ourselves that the sun should be up and so should we, taking walks around the village, and getting a Sunday morning treat from a bakery. The weather could not be finer, the village could not be cuter, and the people could not be nicer.

The sun is starting to peak through the retreating rain clouds from the nights magical rain storm. They remind me of Colorado rains as I am surrounded by mountains, but with a bit more order to them, and the smell of fresh baked pretzels is filling my bedroom.

It's Monday morning for me and after paying too much for really good coffee in a cafe/bakery yesterday we bought some espresso grounds. Well this morning was my first go with this espresso maker. To tell you the truth, looking at it I was concerned I would not get an in-house cup for my remaining time here (Where does the water go?). But this morning I produced a not-too-bad pull of espresso and steamed some milk to go along with it. I think everything is going to be smooth sailing from here.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous... the coffee, the village, the people.. damn, I wish I could get away like that. You're writing is too good.. it's tempting to just quit and grab a plane someplace now. If you had posted a picture I would have had to walk out of my meeting.

sprezzatura said...

For the record, Heather speaks alot more than 15 German words, and I speak alot less than 15 german words. I did hear someone say "Guzuntight" and I thought that was pretty cool.. :)

~Jenny (the sister-in-law)

Angela said...

Where exactly in Austria are you? My brother Craig served his mission there almost 10 years ago.

sprezzatura said...

I am in Lustenau on the border of Germany and Switzerland.