Friday, May 22, 2009

My Germany

Waking I see the weak sunlight on my walls and hear the soft rhythm of rain outside. The first of the concert of birds are congregating for the morning performance. Looking out the window I see the sun just peaking over the tips of the mountains and I know its early.

I wash up for the day, get dressed, run down to the bakery downstairs and buy breakfast in my broken German as the shop women look on me with endeared amusement. Then, back with pretzel in hand, I make coffee and set a simple breakfast of cheese, fruit, and a pretzel. I have done this every morning with only one exception. Setting it up and eating this simple meal with a book each morning is predictable and never varies. However, It has not lost its power to excite me, this trip to the bakery, and I find great amounts of pleasure in trying every kind of cheese and fruit the markets have to offer.

Its the simple things that make up my Germany. The castles are a fairy tale and a dream of the past, but this simple breakfast I take with the birds each morning and the long walks in the beautiful country side with so many Germans riding bicycles and gardening are what make it Germany for me.

1 comment:

Linda S. said...

Don't forget beer and pretzels.