Friday, February 27, 2009

Sunday Bacon

You remember when everything was all hurry and rush in the family home on weekday mornings? Dad had to go to work and mom was so busy getting everyone off with breakfast and lunch (some mornings getting ready for dinner too) that it was a cold bowl of cereal and a quick kiss before the bus was there. Off to school and just another day in Junior High. (In my house mom was off to work too; it was crazy busy.) But remember Sunday morning? You get to sleep in, mom has gotten up to get a nice breakfast ready; pancakes or French toast, waffles if your lucky, eggs, hot coffee peculating in all its caffeinated glory, and bacon. Oh yes, it was Sunday morning, there was hot coffee, no where to run off to and crispy hot bacon. So, when I really love something like I loved those mornings sinking into a hot cup of coffee, some syruped waffles, and wonderful bacon; I call it Sunday Bacon.

I made a cake yesterday, red velvet with butter cream frosting. I made the frosting too. I am sitting here having a slice of that moist, not too sweet cake and a cup of hot Earl Gray with sugar and cream. Its the best cake I have ever made and I don't know if I dare to make a different one in the foolish hope that it too could be this damn good. I will have to try my hand at a chocolate cake next, but alas I may never make such a cake as this one. It was most definitely Sunday Bacon.

No comments: