Monday, December 1, 2008

Retro Awesome (pictures coming soon)

So, last week in California I did so many awesome things it will be hard to pick just one, but for now I want to tell you about my awesome from the week before. I could not post it because it was a gift and the person in question would have read about it. Would have ruined the surprise and let me tell you I believe he was surprised.

It all started years ago. I like giving gifts that are meaningful to me and the other person. I believe that each gift says something abut how I feel for the person and what they mean to me. Cost is no object, within reason, and I do love to give things I know to be of use. This brings us to my friends who are these annoying people that have everything. I agonize each year what to get them for birthdays and holidays. This particular gift took months of planning and work, but really it was years in the making.

I know Tim (the gift was for him) to have everything and he loves to travel. He told me that he would love a compass, but it needed to have meaning and life. So, I went looking, but to no avail. For months I would send him pictures of compasses that I thought he would love, but he did not.

Then one day there it was he showed me the one he liked and I jumped at it. I kept bidding on it till it was mine. Then it was shipped all the way from India. It's well over 100 years old this compass and has a poem on the inside of the lid. The green jeweled pointer makes me happy looking at it and it points North! I had the back inscribed with a little personal message. I know that it might seem strange to have an antique compass engraved in French (thanks Chris), but its me we are talking about here.

I gave it to him almost the moment I stepped off the plane. I could barley contain myself really. Then he opened it and I am happy to report that he loved it! He told me it was the best gift he has received! I cannot tell you how that touched my heart. The way he loves it. It will find good use in his hands and as with all my gifts it will be a little reminder of my quirky personality every time he uses it.

The engraving says: “Pour mon escargot nomade. Puisse cette boussole te guider toujours vers tes prochaines aventures.
Amour, toujours,
Heather”

Translated: “For my traveling snail. May this compass always point the way to your
next adventure.
Love Always,
Heather”

No comments: