Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Frozen Awesome

Ok so most people don't find the weather to be awesome, but most people don't live in a place that gets as cold as it does here in the winter. Last week here in Colorado it was so cold it made the skin on my body hurt to be outside without protection. I am a cold weather woman. I can stand most cold and it does get quite cold here, but on the days when the temp reaches 45f or 50f degrees in the dead of winter it feels like spring.

Watching people do their holiday shopping in such weather is something to behold all wrapped up in their warmest gear, loaded down with bags and boxes, children skipping and singing to the Christmas music, and the sparkling lights like fairies that have stopped for a rest in the treas. People most of the time don't tend to mind the cold while getting into the holiday spirit, but when the thermometer dips below zero its a whole other story. Most people like myself don't even want to go out of doors when the weather becomes so brutal, but when you do its a whole other world at that temperature.

Stepping outside with multiple layers covering every section of exposed skin the air bites into my unprepared lungs like knives in my chest. The soft tissue in my nose is screaming to go back inside, but my soul is free in such a place. There is no one out, everything is white from the new snow fall and there is a quiet calm that is blanketing everything, I embrace the cold creeping into my clothes. I walk around the block and my solitude is uninterrupted. The snow is so cold it squeaks under foot. The world is mine as I turn the corner to walk towards the lake.